At the end of May 2017, I sat in front of my mirror thinking about how skinny I wanted to be. That sounds so bad but it’s the honest truth! But where was I going to start? What was I going to do to get there? I knew two things, I needed to change my eating habits and I needed to exercise. 10 months later and I’m 55 pounds down and have been keeping it off. After a while, my goal of “skinny” turned to “healthier” and I attribute these 5 things that help kick start my journey.
*This page contains affiliate links to products that I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you.
Here are 5 quick and easy tips that pushed me to get moving and I hope it helps you get you started!
- Cardio! Cardio! Cardio!- Cardio is my knight and shining armor, I used to run cross country in elementary and junior high so thinking of taking this on didn’t spark fear into me at all. But when I hit the treadmill I could barely make it a mile running without feeling like death would soon come. So I started out walking and then running and moved into interval training. Interval running is when you walk for a short time, then run, then sprint in a series of set times. I still run at least 4x a week and currently training for my first 5k in April.Cardio is short for cardiovascular exercise, it is any movement that gets your heart rate up and increases blood circulation throughout the body. So if running isn’t your thing there are plenty of other cardio exercises to choose from; swimming, dancing, Zumba, kickboxing, cycling, hiking, rowing- essentially, whatever makes you sweat and your heart beat faster.
- Increase water intake- The thirst is real so don’t skimp on your water intake! Water is very important in general, but when thinking about weight loss the consumption is key. I started out drinking 32 oz a day but quickly upped that to 64 oz daily, sometimes more.
- Hot Water with Lemon, Honey & Apple Cider Vinegar- Check out my Hot Water Recipe! This may seem disgusting but trust me it works wonders, it may seem like a trick and that’s because it is. But this is a trick that works great wonders, drink this every morning on an empty stomach to help aid in your weight loss. You can also read here my take on Apple Cider Vinegar and all its health benefits.
- Counting Calories- Counting calories is always a touchy subject, depending on who you ask. I for one needed to do this, it helped me to learn what I was putting into my body and determine how much. I used a calorie tracker which also linked to my Nike Running app so when I burned calories I earned them back in my daily calorie bank. This truly helped me be able to measure food and see nutrition facts. I used a food scale to help me measure any and everything, I learned it & mastered it! So much so that I don’t count anymore because at this point I can pretty much eyeball what 3 oz of fish looks like or a cup of grapes. This is the great think about counting that’ll last forever! This was vital in helping me stay anchored to a daily attainable goal.
- Never skip your meals- You might think you’re doing yourself a favor by skipping meals or fasting, but I found that doing this only did the opposite in achieving my goals. Say that you do this and you’re losing weight in the short term but, the weight you lose comes at a cost (as do many things), and may not be long-lasting. Skipping meals can do a number of bad including slowing your metabolism, missing nutrients, and overeating. Like I said in #4 counting calories helps keep you in line with your meals and tracking your eating so don’t miss a meal thinking it’ll do your body good.
While these 5 things helped me kick off and get started on my journey, there’s much more to losing weight and maintaining a healthier lifestyle. Sign up for my updates to find out more as I share!
Do you have any tips you want to share? Leave a comment below.
Have you just started your journey and would like some advice? Contact me.